Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Note From Nancy

I know Greg already did today's post, but I thought that I'd share a recipe with everyone. Grandma Hill used to make this and so did I, but I'd forgotten all about it until this week. I made it for a Relief Society dinner and it was a huge hit. All the ladies loved it so much and it's so easy that I thought I'd share it. If you like chocolate, you will love this!

Cherry Chocolate Cake

1 package Devil's Food cake mix                                         Frosting:
1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling                                              1 cup sugar
1 tsp. almond extract                                                             5 tbsp. butter
2 eggs                                                                                   1/3 c. milk
                                                                                             1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Heat the oven to 350. Grease a 9"x13" pan.
Combine the dry cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract, and 2 eggs BY HAND; stir until well blended, being careful not to break up the cherries too much. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until it tests done. Cool.

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, and mild. Boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until smooth. Immediately pour over the partially cooled cake.

*You can make this in a bundt pan and it looks pretty with the frosting on top.

Since I'm already on the blog I'll tell a little more about our week. We've been really good about walking this week and it's felt great! We go down to the new track and walk 3 miles really fast and usually get done in about 45 minutes. I know all you runners out there are probably rolling your eyes, but at least we're doing something! Greg is always good about playing racquetball or lifting weights every day, but I rarely get out to exercise so I'm pretty happy about it.

We are loving being empty nesters again. Of course, Courtney comes home almost every day to run on the treadmill, but for the most part we are alone. You couldn't say that our lives are exciting, but it's just so fun to be together that we are very happy. We both leave for work around 7:00 in the morning and get home around 5:00 at night and by then we're ready to be done for the day. We walk, read books, watch movies, cook, and run errands. We are two middle aged people who find great joy in just being together. LIfe is great!




No comments: